Friday, October 20, 2006

space opera Planetary Federation fighter plane ideation

Hello again, sorry for the absence - had quite a bit on my plate there for a few weeks. Still do really, but I wanted to put at least a few minutes into this space opera project. I've been working with a writer named Stephen Phillips, who is doing a great job with helping me establish the world and the main characters. I think his ideas and script writing ability will help this thing out a lot!

Anyway this is just a set of really really quick and dirty sketches, starting to create the characters of the ships in this story. What I'd like to do is give the ship designs a bit of that old school, "practical model" feel. There is a certain aesthetic that comes from having to build actual models for the science fiction movies of the 70s and 80s that you don't always see in the cg models in movies nowadays. The way I interpret that is that the ships start off with some very simple geometric shapes, which create an easily identifiable silhouette - you can immediately recognize a TIE fighter, for instance, regardless of the angle at which you are looking at it. All the "greeblies" are applied as a secondary layer, rather than acting as the main idea of the design.

So for this guy, I was thinking about a rotating cockpit, so that the orientation of the ship could change on the fly. So to speak... it would land and take off in a horizontal orientation, kind of like the old Cylon raiders from the original Battlestar Galactica TV series. Once in the air, or in space, the cockpit could rotate around 90 degrees and the ship would then take on a vertical orientation. No practical reason, just kind of a cool look. And so I wouldn't be dinged for doing a Cylon raider ripoff. Which it still sort of is I guess...

Yadda yadda.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger 400lb Ninja said...

so when is this coming out again...

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meme's (pronounced "meems") - basically what you explained in regards to identifiable shapes and forms that are reminiscent of everyday or archetypal objects.

My two-cents.

Cool stuff.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger eyekaps said...

I love seeeing the "raw" drawings. **HOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home